Into the Wild Festival news: BBC Family & Education News

Into the Wild Festival news: BBC Family & Education News

Latest update from Into the Wild

What do you think?

You’ve heard of homeschooling, but what about unschooling?! Would you put your children in charge? 🤔

Intothewild

COVID-19 has affected many, many businesses, but has been felt heavily through the live music industry.

Months worth of hard work that go into festivals like End of the Road and many other fantastic events around the country evaporated overnight, with entire annual incomes given up. Many taking the decisions themselves before the Government did because it was the right thing to do.

Today marks the launch of the #letthemusicplay campaign to ask the government to do the right thing in return - help support the live music industry on it's road to recovery.

Find out more about the campaign: bit.ly/2YSm4Cv

Missing you End of the Road..... hoping so much for 2021 🙏

Done 😇 and thanks for posting End Of The Road Festival 2021

We were so excited about welcoming Andy Shauf back to End of the Road in September, and we know a lot of you were as excited about seeing him.

Next Tuesday (June 30th) Andy will be appearing in his first live stream since the pandemic began, playing an all-request set from his home in Toronto.

This one-hour performance will help to raise funds for a variety of causes, including his neighbourhood's Parkdale Community Food Bank, Nia Centre for the Arts (a Toronto-based not-for-profit arts centre that supports, showcases and promotes an appreciation of arts from across the African Diaspora), and Andy Shauf's band and crew. Fans can make song requests by visiting Andy's Twitter or Instagram (@andyshauf), or through the Facebook event page for this show.

Ticket link: dice.fm/tour/andy-shauf-live-stream

FB Event: www.facebook.com/events/260859461679745/

This one-hour performance will help to raise funds for a variety of causes, including his neighbourhoods Parkdale Community Food Bank, Nia Centre for the Arts (a Toronto-based not-for-profit arts centre that supports, showcases and promotes an appreciation of arts from across the African Diaspora), and Andy Shaufs band and crew. Fans can make song requests by visiting Andys Twitter or Instagram (@andyshauf), or through the Facebook event page for this show.

Ticket link: https://dice.fm/tour/andy-shauf-live-stream

FB Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/260859461679745/

Matthew Boycott-Garnett Grant Curnow Daniel Mancini

Olivia Russell

Hope Bicknell

Sean Tobin

🌱 We just wanted to say a big big thank you to all of you. We've been completely overwhelmed by your messages and kind words.

Rest assured, we’ll be back and ready for one hell of a party in 2021.

Love to you all, Team EOTR 🧡

🌱 We just wanted to say a big big thank you to all of you. Weve been completely overwhelmed by your messages and kind words.

Rest assured, we’ll be back and ready for one hell of a party in 2021.

Love to you all, Team EOTR 🧡

Love and thanks to EOTR

Can't wait for next year x

The best things in life are worth waiting for. 🤩👍

Lots of love to the whole EOTR family. See you in 2021 x

2021 a year for celebration at EOTR 😍😍😍

Can’t wait for it! ❤️

Roll on next year. Can't wait 🙌

See you next year! ❤️

😘😘😘😘

We’ll come back rejuvenated and refreshed and raring to go x

We all understand, but first pint is free next year, right?!

Cant wait for next year!

Who did these leaves? They were so magical.✨

Gutted....but look forward to seeing you all next year....😢😢😢

❤️

I had other plans for this summer but can't wait to be able to go to EOTR and Green Man again ❤️

This was our fallow year. Just bought our tickets for 2021 ❤

See you in 2021! It’ll be worth the wait

Thanks for being there for 2021.

It would have been my first EOTR festival and was so looking forward to it. The excitement and anticipation will last longer now. Can’t wait 😊

Happy to help you guys out...small sacrifice

We’ll be there in 2021 ❤️

Unfortunately due to my daughter starting secondary school when it is on next Seot I need to request a refund. How do I do this please? Thanks x

View more comments

We were holding out hope we wouldn’t have to do this but sadly, due to the current pandemic, we are postponing End of The Road 2020 until 2-5 September 2021.

We’ll miss you all terribly and we can’t wait to see you there. You’ll notice PIXIES, King Krule, Big Thief, Bright Eyes, Little Simz and Aldous Harding have all already promised they’ll be there too!

We do need your help right now, more than ever, to keep the independent spirit of EOTR alive so we’re asking you to roll your tickets forward to 2021 if you can. If you need it, and times are hard we know, you are of course entitled to a face-value refund. We’ll be emailing all ticket buyers with full details shortly.

Love to you all,
Simon and the team at End of The Road

More info here: buff.ly/2Zvezyo

Love to you all,
Simon and the team at End of The Road

More info here: https://buff.ly/2Zvezyo

See you next year. Big love <3

Not really a like, but the fact that it is happening next year with confirmed attendees IS worth a like!

Lucy Rouse 🙁

We'll be there with the team next year once again, rest easy and loads of love to everyone till we see you next 🥰

Michelle Binks

Not unexpected given the circs - see you next year xx

Counting down the days already, I’m sure it’ll be the best year yet 🥰

Holding my tickets for sure. Take care EOTR people. x

Dan Rynne

Such a shame but totally understandable ❤️❤️

Meg Lacey

Jude Clarke Alex Elbro Dinner at ours that weekend - street food, beers and a fab playlist 😞

2021 will not know what's hit it. So much catching up to do. Stay safe everyone 🥳🥳🥳🥳

No birthday pixies for me. Mark Scholes xx

Rob Martin going to transfer the deposit over to 2021....

Charlotte James next year?

❤️

Gutted. But I'll be holding onto my tickets to make sure EOTR survives this.

Noooooooo. Gutted. But understand and will see you in 2021. Can’t wait. X

😭😭😭😭😭

Kate Blundel 😭😭😭 the one year we get our shit together and buy tickets

Please keep Makaya McCraven, Girl Band and Vanishing Twin for 2021!!!

Roll on 2021...

Not unexpected, absolutely gutted nonetheless... My son and I will certainly be rolling over our tickets... The three bands I wanted to see the most have confirmed for next year so that's a result... See you next year for one hell of a party xx

View more comments

Loud and Quiet Magazine came on board as End Of The Road’s print media partner in 2016. That first summer, they put on a “Wedding Reception” after-party to follow Bat for Lashes' headline set, which she DJ'd at herself. The following year they hosted a “Midnight Mass” after Father John Misty's headline show and since 2018 they have thrown the festival’s official opening party with a phenomenal Time Hop themed Silent Disco.

Elsewhere they turned their Midnight Chats Podcast series into Midday Chats for us on the Piano Stage with guests from the line up including Nadine Shah, Josh T. Pearson and Cate Le Bon.

The magazine dedicates an issue to End Of The Road every year, providing a custom guide to the festival in a way that only Loud and Quiet could. In a short space of time, they managed to pick out what makes End of The Road so unique - homing in on its idiosyncrasies and championing them.

Quite simply, they’re kindred independent spirits. Support them if you can.

Subscribe and help save Loud and Quiet: buff.ly/2VE6U1U

📷 Rachel Juarez-Carr

Loud and Quiet Magazine came on board as End Of The Road’s print media partner in 2016. That first summer, they put on a “Wedding Reception” after-party to follow Bat for Lashes headline set, which she DJd at herself. The following year they hosted a “Midnight Mass” after Father John Mistys headline show and since 2018 they have thrown the festival’s official opening party with a phenomenal Time Hop themed Silent Disco.

Quite simply, they’re kindred independent spirits. Support them if you can.

Subscribe and help save Loud and Quiet: buff.ly/2VE6U1U

📷 Rachel Juarez-Carr

We have a picture of us sitting in those chairs last year. They have been graced by so many awesome bums, we couldn’t resist!

1. Anonymous says:

We have a very similar attitude with our toddler. He goes to bed when he’s tired, eats when he’s hungry and leads his own play and exploration. I am a reception class teacher but have found the way education is going makes for sad viewing. I’m currently deciding how I feel is best to educate my two little ones.

2. Anonymous says:

Mm..yes..thinking about it. I def don’t agree about the no set bedtime thing though…. it would be ok if parent was a robot but ,well,a parent needs rest too..kids are not ghe centre of the universe

3. Anonymous says:

But there doesn’t appear to be much teaching. If they’re are just asking what
    they want to learn how are they going to pass any GCSEs. I don’t recall being able to read a registration plate featuring in any exam!

4. Anonymous says:

If only I could afford not to work 🙁

5. Anonymous says:

Sounds like a nightmare. More play time and taking cues from the kids as to what other things they want to learn about is a positive thing, but kids are kids and they need parents to guide them and set boundaries. Not to their imaginations but to what’s good for them like how to eat healthy and get their rest and also that they need to respect that mummy and daddy need their own time to recharge.

6. Anonymous says:

I don’t understand why people assume a child with no set bedtime won’t go to bed at a decent time? Children copy us, if we lead by example they’ll just do what we do like walking and talking, ingrained and natural. The only reason kids resist things is because we make them into rules.

7. Anonymous says:

Terrible idea
    Especially the purple hair and number plate reading!! Haha 😂

8. Anonymous says:

I agree in a lot of countries the educational system is not preparing kids for the real world in this day and age. However this is probably not the right way to go for “older kids” (6 years and up), as real life unfortunately does come with obligatory things.

I realize I’m in a country where school is very child friendly and not a “stressful thing” – and I also think if done right homeschooling is a huge advantage.
    But simply not setting any kind of “traditional parenting” seems a little extreme..

9. Anonymous says:

I home educated my daughter for the same reason as the mother in the video, I saw my daughter shrink as a person in the school environment.

10. Anonymous says:

Education is everywhere, make everything useful. I used to say that as long as children are not locked up in the attic and the parents re not completely asleep, the children learn.

11. Anonymous says:

Humanity is naturally curious and that has to be trusted. I found the artificial world of schools almost destroyed that. What is education anyway? No one seems to be able to really answer that question.
    My daughter chose the academic route to A-level level and is now a highly trained professional. If she’d chosen a non-academic route it would’ve been ok too.
    Some of us are lucky to get to know what our minds are interested in and pursue it. Schools, in my opinion hamper that greatly, as the whole set up of them is a distraction from getting to know yourself.
    From here it’d turn into quite a topic, ie, how I’d rather see a person supported in knowing themselves and how our oh-so-mad world as a whole is in desperate need of it rather than being supported in becoming compliant workforce fodder.

12. Anonymous says:

No, kids need to mix with other children. They need to have a routine, go to bed on time etc. I used to let mine go to bed a bit later on a fri and Saturday where routine slipped a little and back to normal time Sunday nite.

13. Anonymous says:

I love this… but I wonder how the mommas needs are taken into account? I have super spirited boys and they exhaust me… I’d want to do this as a community. Children learning from all the different adults.. I think our family units are limited..

14. Anonymous says:

Not children get to make “their” own decisions but they get to make “the decisions…that’s why one is a parent (teach) and one is a child (learn)

15. Anonymous says:

No. Children should be in school, given boundaries and routines. School also prepares them for social situations as adults.

16. Anonymous says:

Great idea.
    You learn a lot of pointless subjects at school.. everyone gets taught the same things to pass exams.. and where do these exams get you?
    Yes there are some companies that require you to have passed a number of GCSEs at a certain level, before you can even apply, but there are other options.
    School will work for some and not for others, and as a parent you have to do what is best for your children.
    Some people say that school prepares you for the outside world, but how many children leave school not knowing how to cook, how to do their own washing, or how to manage their own money?!
    You don’t have to follow the same boring routine just because that is what society expects you to do.
    It’s your life 😇

17. Anonymous says:

It’s something I’ve considered but as my child is an only child and we don’t know other children in the area so my daughter would be very isolated. If I had a big family, lots of children around I would do this…

18. Anonymous says:

Having worked and volunteered in different schools, being a parent myself and having spoke to other parents, I personally feel our education system is under severe pressure and a lot of schools are at breaking points. Lack of funding, over prescribed class sizes, high staff turnovers ect. Childrens individual learning needs are not always being met. Children with things like dyslexia are being missed or diagnosed too late. There has to be a reason 65% more parents have chose to home school? Our schools need more funding, teachers need to be given more freedom ect I’ve thought about home schooling but never dared taken the plunge.

19. Anonymous says:

This was my childhood. My education was based around the questions I asked. I was engaged with learning because it was based on my interests I was taught to value understanding and figuring things out.

20. Anonymous says:

I Agree with BOTH! And believe that there is not enough choice when it comes to ways we educate our children . Schools are all the same 😟. We need many more different types of schools for different types of families . Allowing more families to opt out of the school system will open up great opportunities for communal living and communal teaching. Learning wonderful skills that are hardly ever on offer at schools. Schools are great though and children learn so much but a lot of time is waisted, especially when teaching such large numbers of children at the same time, many children miss out. So it’s all about choice really when it comes to teaching our children . It’s just all too limited right now

21. Anonymous says:

I think there is not one ‘right way’ to educate a child as we are all different and learn in different ways. This little girl was not thriving in a school environment and is now thriving. That’s not to say it would be right for every child or every family but it’s clearly working for them or they wouldn’t be continuing it with their youngest child. What I don’t like is this clear attempt by the BBC to show this type of education as a bit ridiculous, the content they have chosen to include and the background music are all chosen to present this way of living as ‘strange’. It seems like a way of discrediting this family more than anything else which is completely unfounded as they haven’t presented any facts to show that this is no good for the children.

22. Anonymous says:

I found this interesting . I am acutely aware how schooling seems to be a doctrine of turning your little ones into nice little monetary slaves . Children are freaked out when they realise it a five day week “FOREVER” and it concerns me deeply the lack of freedom to just be . I found my child’s learning abilities increased with time off when ill or time off for something as they had the time to process the information they’d acquired rather than having it rammed down their throats 5 days a week . Interestingly the reading abilities increased after a break . Boys especially need kinetic learning and sitting still and stuck in classroom really is a phoney way for a child to process info . I do believe that schooling for social interaction and learning a collective moral code is great and important but its so often done in parameters of what i can only describe as , sorry , but mind and behaviour control at the expense of expression and sensitivity . But also, I am acutely aware that boundaries and learning to control impulse, is equally important . Really Kids under 8 should be doing free learning much more at school or a 3/4 day week but the amount of pressure on parents to earn money and lack of extended family in the UK for support mean that people need 5 days a week childcare to get money and food on the table . Sadly this goes back to my first point about how sometimes i feel we are training our children into a very one dimensional way of being . A 5 days a week tax and money slave, which is rather unwholesome . Humanity needs more freedom to be .

23. Anonymous says:

Looks like the liberal minded snowflake minority getting media attention again, kids having no boundaries no discipline eating rubbish food ,would be interesting to see how they turn out in another 10 to 15 years, I hope they do end up ok for everyone’s sake and not what I expect them too.

24. Anonymous says:

as practitioners now we are coping with kids who cannot use a knife and fork. Can’t wipe Thier own hands look to us to do all for them. As parents are doing all for them They do need to have some basic schooling . If that’s in a more free environment then great but not making all thier own decisions .kids need some kind of structure .Basic knowing…how to do something. Choosing not to go to school .. or sleep or do as instructed but choosing Thier own way if doing things will in my opinion cause more problems

25. Anonymous says:

I agree with Home schooling but unschooling? You’ll end up with a completely feral child that won’t be able to deal with rules of society.