Coastal Currents news: RIP COASTAL CURRENTS 1999 – 2019?…

Coastal Currents news: RIP COASTAL CURRENTS 1999 – 2019?…

Latest update from Coastal Currents

RIP COASTAL CURRENTS 1999 – 2019?

BREAKING NEWS… Council pulls funding for Coastal Currents 2019. Thank you Hastings Independent Press for covering the story. We are now looking to the community to hold up this community arts festival. If you want Coastal Currents to happen again this year we need to raise £20,000.

This is only 1000 of our biggest supporters putting in £20 each and we have the seed funding to apply to the Arts Council England.

Let's not let the council's short sightedness affect the gathering pace we have created with this Nationally significant arts festival.

1)Please share this post widely and support us here https://www.gofundme.com/coastal-currents-2019

2)Sign the petition we will submit to the council at the following places: Wow and Flutter, The Crown, HI Store, Goat Ledge, Shipwreck Museum and the White Rock Hotel.

Coastal Currents

1. Sarah Yates says:

I will definitely support! Such a shame after all the work that has been done over the years to grow this into something amazing!

2. Joanne Weaver says:

I personally think this is one of the best art events around, so i hope it will somehow continue. Eep at a time art is being cut so much in schools too. This is a great opportunity for art of all kinds to be easily available to everyone…

3. Zoe Olivia Bennett says:

What a shame

4. Lily Elms says:

Nooo😢

5. Geoff Dennison says:

Tory austerity measures have cut council funding by 31%. Write to your MPs and ask then why?

6. Lily Elms says:

I’m incredulous at this poor decision by the council.😢

7. Simon Isaac says:

I will be supporting. I’m an artist from outside Hastings who took part last year and know for a fact with friends and fellow artists who visited the event, brought thousands of pounds into the Hastings economy with hotel, restaurant and other spending including buying art, just in our group. The council couldn’t be more short sighted if they tried!

8. Martin Phillips says:

Yes the Council’s decision is misguided and a shame. Money will become tighter as a result of Brexit as our economy readjusts over the next 20 years. However, here is an opportunity to go out and be free of such funding. Talk to the man who owns Roost he was a good supporter of Coastal Currents and there are others out there. It can mean greater possession and participation by the local community.

9. Martin Phillips says:

An opportunity to make it even bigger and better. The Rye Festival lost its South East Arts grant in 1995 or 6 and hsd to go out for self funding.

10. Alison Purdy says:

I found the council members (on both sides) very supportive of my Coastal Currents event last year, so I doubt this decision has been taken lightly. Much of the Hastings community is supportive of crowdfunders for events such as this and passionate about arts and creativity, so I’m sure it can be done. I’d be happy to see more commercial advertising in the brochure and publicity too if it generates the revenue required.

11. Cheryl Bell says:

I think all of us would support you, so I suggest a crowd funder. My Open Studio at last year’s Coastal Currents was fantastic!

12. Rachel Heavens says:

Crowdfunder!

13. Serra Amazu00f3nia says:

Ill donate to coastal currents …..funny HBC dont have a problem finding money to cover the country park in solar panels…maybe they could stop that nonsense and put some of the money back to funding coastal currents

14. Jason Molloy says:

People let’s not waste precious time bogged down in the mire of this decision. Let’s move from problem to solution as rapidly as we can, please share, raise awareness and donate. Any fundraising idea should be forwarded – let’s not lose one of the highlights of the Hastings Year. At the very least sharing this Post will raise the profile of this campaign.

15. David Dixon says:

Coastal Currents is just or-hor-summm! The work you guys have put on year after year is incredible! Wishing you the very very best of good fortune! I’m sure there is no doubt in anyone’s mind about the worth and contribution that CC brings to the area, and I doubt we’ve seen the last of coastal currents! Go gettem!

16. Nigel Crockett says:

We can do it!!! Change RIP to riptide of positivity. If anyone wants to organise an auction of works of the arts I’d be very willing to donate – just saying.

17. Rachel Lever says:

It’s been a fantastic and generous gift year after year. Thinking of all the really fabulous free shows we’ve been gifted for the past 20 or so years am very happy to pay for some of them retrospectively so this can continue

18. Anton Hack says:

I’m a great supporter of CC, but don’t think this should be a vehicle for HBC bashing. Haven’t the council been saying that they would have to do this for years, and preparing the way to do so out of necessity? I’m pretty sure that due to the massive cuts, which are apparently going to get bigger over the coming years, the council has had to put money into supporting things which will hopefully have enough momentum to fund themselves independently or build a sustainable business model that keeps them going. The reality is, and we see so many examples of this like the pier, that if you don’t have a sustainable business plan, not overwhelmingly based on grants, then you are not likely to have a prospering business for long. Having said all that, don’t let me put anyone off chipping into the CC fund if they can afford it!

19. Kay Avery-Stallion says:

Create a donation website! I’ll donate x

20. Kay Avery-Stallion says:

Don’t use a jeopardy style Kickstarter where you lose the money if the target isn’t reached. X

21. Philippa Read says:

But HBC aren’t responsible for the services that keep people alive…..that’s the national benefits system, the NHS and Social Care (which is ESCC). HBC have a responsibility to make sure there are places for people to live, and we’re all not surrounded by rubbish and filth (the success of these objectives is debatable!) , amongst other things.
    They are cutting a load of services and automating processes, and making people who are essential to the smooth running of the town redundant.
    IMO Coastal Currents and other arts events will be just what the town needs as a pick up after the shambles that is currently occurring comes into effect.

22. Rose Ratcliffe says:

Crowd funder I’m happy to support coastal currents

23. Tim Willcocks says:

Start a fundraiser….. I’m in.

24. Wesley Magoogan says:

The current council appear not to have a handle on investing in the future of Hastings.

25. Julia Burke says:

Crowdfunding? Worth a try.x

26. Julia Burke says:

Can’t read it all – have you thought of ‘crowfunding’? X

27. Emily Westley says:

Council tax and Housing benefit discretionary payments keep people in homes and alive. Funding to Seaview and other local charities by HBC keep people alive. Giving money to an art project does not keep people alive!

28. Coastal Currents says:

Just a reminder that the crowdfunder exists… please share https://www.gofundme.com/coastal-currents-2019/

29. Nathan Cornelius says:

Natasha Elkins!

30. Sue Dean says:

So sorry to hear this … good luck!

31. Jane Freund says:

Jenny Miller, Janet Hodgson

32. Teresa Kilczewski says:

Dear Sir or Madam,
    With respect for a £20.00 donations ,

33. Teresa Kilczewski says:

I find that in the present economic climate not practical for local artists,
    your sincerely Teresa

34. JJ Waller says:

Excuse if this has been mentioned…. is there any merit in Petitioning the Council to at least match fund monies raised outside of any contribution from them to Coastal Currents? I’m guessing that the council will happily see CC continue and develop without their input. I guess once that happens Council funding will disappear forever.

35. JJ Waller says: