The actor said the Time’s Up movement has made her re-evaluate her own experiences
Natalie Portman has spoken about her past experiences with sexual harassment in Hollywood, saying she has “100 stories”.
The actor has been a prominent part of the Time’s Up initiative, which was launched on January 1, 2018 by over 300 women working in the entertainment industry. Its aims are to combat systemic sexual harassment in the industry and beyond, and help gain equality for all.
Speaking to Porter magazine, she said the movement had made her re-evaluate her own experiences. “I went from thinking, ‘I don’t have a story’ to ‘Oh, wait, I have 100 stories,’” she said. “And I think a lot of people are having these reckonings with themselves, of things that we just took for granted as, like, this part of the process.”
She shared a story about an encounter with an unnamed producer on a private plane, saying: “It was just the two of us, and only one bed was made up. Nothing happened, I was not assaulted. I did make a point of saying, ‘This does not make me feel comfortable’, and that was respected.
“But that was super not OK, you know? That was really unacceptable and manipulative. I was scared.”
Portman also praised the people who have come forward to speak about their own experiences of sexual misconduct. “I think it’s really important to recognise all the people who have come forward,” she said. “They have created this cultural shift. A lot of people have been speaking out for a long time and not been heard, particularly women of colour, so it’s very important the industry listens.”
The actor was one of the guest presenters at last month’s Golden Globes, where she introduced the Best Director category by saying: “And here are the all-male nominees.”
Straight from the NME
No upcoming events